Friday, February 8, 2013

My Father's Voice



Fingers ceased to fly over keys, mind stilled. Eyes traced the path of Christmas lights just outside the mosquito net. And that's when I remembered.

"Oh yeah. I was gonna read that again..." 

For a moment, rebellion. "Why bother? It's old stuff: and it won't do me any good anyway." 

But then, a whisper that surely was not my own. "How can you expect Me to lead if you will not look through the door I am opening?" 

I picked up the computer, opened the program. I clicked on the right link, scrolled to the right place. I'd been here before, and as I saw the familiar words once again, I smiled a little ruefully. Oh, how different the circumstances had been when first I found this string of questions. But never mind: it was time to ask them again.

One by one, my eyes filled with each question. "Will it...? Are they...? Can you...?"

And, to my surprise, just like before, the answer came the same. "Yes... Yes... Yes..." 

To the end now, and I was puzzled. "Lord... what ARE You doing? Why can I still answer yes?" 

I looked back down and saw another line. He who spreads his case out before the Lord will know precisely what course to take when he is through... 

Memories flooded my heart; both recent memories and old ones clamored for attention. I went through each one, and began to realize, albeit slowly.

God has brought me on a journey since I stepped onto Thai soil. And now I had thought that where I was was where I would stay.

Apparently not.

The realization in my heart was awful. "How could I lay such blame? How could I call it madness? How could I...?" 

How indeed.

Conviction pressed down hard on this heart. The Lord seemed to lay a hand on my tense shoulder. "Wait a little longer, Child; the time will come in time... Be patient, be willing, and let Me work. I led in the past, I will lead today and in the days to come. You have nothing to fear if I am writing the story that is you." 

The words of a familiar song run through the thoughts. A smile cracks the seriousness.

"Perhaps..." 

I'm no seer.

I don't know what's coming in the days, the months, yet ahead.

But I am assured that no matter what, "my bliss will be more beautiful, the ending more sublime."

Again, I smile.

There is nothing... Nothing... like hearing my Father's voice.

"I cannot imagine what will come, but I know that I have made my choice. This is where I stand until He moves me on, and I will listen to His voice.

One of our little visitors, reading a book.

During midterm exams, the books get deposited in all of the trees around the school.

A group of anxious students. One of my 7th grade boys, Saw Ku Shee, asked me, "Teacher, exam?" I smiled and nodded. He groaned and I went, "No problem; you will do fine." Again, just like last term, he shook his head violently, proclaiming, "No Teacher! No fine!" 

He got over 80%, by the way...

 Adrina, Thara Timothy's little girl.

Never mind chairs; just collapse the table and sit on the floor. What good are legs anyway?

We recently had a group of 23 "gohlahwa's" here: Jon Wood and his crew of JFA people on a vision tour. They stayed here for a few days, shot video, took pictures, and did a bunch of other stuff. It was so much fun having them here.

Harvey: "Are you ready?" EhGuhNyaw: "Do I look ready?"

Some of our regular attendees up at the branch Sabbath school.

One of the JFA group: Kirk Van Buren. I was introduced to him on our front porch as "Christian:" whereupon he said, "Oh woe is me; lost and undone am I!" If you've ever heard the audio-enacted version of Pilgrim's Progress, this is indeed Christian. Sounds just like him. *grin*

 Landon, waving at Jon Wood's video camera.
 
Thara EhGuhNyaw

Daniel Hill, another member of the JFA group. We've had almost every Hill here this school year: Jim and Irene, and Daniel and Jonathan... Only missing Josiah!

Stopped at a lookout point to get some pictures...

Oh, these two. Daniel: "What is he talking about? You and me, related?" Jonathan: "Uh...."

Yes. They are related. No questions asked.

Cameras only tell so much...

Mu Nu Nu.

 8th grade girls

Jon sneaked up and grinned while I snapped about 10 pictures. The rest of the group had no idea he was there til they looked at the pictures on my camera.

One last lookout.

It was so good to see this guy again, sunglasses and all. It's been months since I saw anyone from home, and then one of my friends ends up on my doorstep!

Eh Mu Dah and Mo Mo Eh.

 I'll miss taking pictures with these kids when I go home... Only 5 weeks left...

A classic "Landon" pose.

A few 8th grade girls and the Adams family, who came with the JFA group. I think the girls were fascinated with the "little gohlahwas". 

 Mu Nu Nu asked if I could cut hair. Well, sure, but do you want it to look nice? Thankfully I've had practice at trimming hair before.

No comments:

Post a Comment