Monday, September 3, 2012

Waiting for the train


Ever done that?

Most people don't ride trains anymore, but back in the day, they were quite the thing. Trains were the number one way to get across the country, or almost anywhere of substantial distance. And too, there's something a little romantic, nostalgic, about the proverbial train station: a place of waiting, of hope, of meeting again...but also a place of goodbyes, tears, and sighs.

I'll admit: I love trains.

But not when they're speeding directly at me.

Right now, I'm standing on a train track. Out in the middle of apparent nowhere. And I'm staring at the bright lights of a big train that's speeding at me. No, I can't move out of the way. I have to stay here. The train's name is reality.

Reality hasn't hit yet. But it's coming. Fast.

I'm sitting on a hard, slick floor right now. My back is leaned up against a square column and I'm watching people walk past me. Most of them are Asians. Hannah is sitting beside me, on her computer just like me. I'm in Taiwan. Waiting for a couple more hours before our flight to Bangkok comes in. I'm thousands of miles away from home.

No, reality hasn't hit.

But it won't be long in coming.

I can only hope and pray that I'm ready. And that if I'm not, the Lord will make me ready in short order. He can strengthen me to meet that train head on, and embrace reality. Do His name honor and glory by embracing it. And grow myself because of it.

Right now, I'm across the ocean. In another country. And it's only a matter of hours, and I'll be in Thailand. For real. For seven months. For God. And maybe, for myself. Because I know I'll never be the same again.

May God go with me.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, embrace reality. I love it. And I need it, too. The train's coming for me next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think I can, I think I can"...be a brave little toaster...for Jesus! Sorta makes you able to identify in a micromillionth of a way, with Jesus & His coming here so long ago...He knows my precious, He knows...love & prayers from not so far away! Smoochies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is natural to have some apprehension, but you are an adventurer. God picked you to be where you are and we know that you will shine for Him. We are remembering you daily in prayer.

    ReplyDelete