Saturday, September 22, 2012

Over the River, Through the Woods

When I got into the back of the station wagon, I didn't know what I was in for.

I learned pretty quickly.

What a way to spend Sabbath afternoon!

But wait... Why tell you about it?

...when I can show you instead?

Hannah :)

Michael Ross. We were all sitting on the porch, waiting for Thara Ehkanyaw, who had suggested the outing and then proceeded to fall asleep.

Little Mu Mu Wa. 

A temple/monastery. They're beautiful in the light of the sun, but what darkness they conceal! White-washed sepulchers... And you have to say, the New Jerusalem in all its glory will be more beautiful than the most elaborate temple on earth.

There is no way to adequately describe Thailand's mountainous beauty. We saw alot of it on our way back into the mountains.

Those clouds were something else. I took these out the window in the very back of the station wagon.

Michael Ross drove the truck you see up there, with a few boys in the back.

Words fail.

Brenda taking pictures at the lookout we stopped at on our way up.

Mountains...

Sharon, Hannah, and Daygumo.

Group picture! The four on the right are students.

Michael Ross again.

Another group picture--with me in it this time!

Sharon. :)

The "look." I seem to incur that wherever I go. 

Looking at the scenery.

No caption needed.

"And God saw that it was very good..."

A larger-than-my-outstretched-hand grasshopper.

Back to the cars! 

We passed a waterfall on the way up and stopped the cars again. We didn't get out, but let me tell you, if we had I would've been sitting in the water. Warm and balmy doesn't even fit the temperature well enough.

:)

Not sure how to pronounce that. Give it a try! No, really... Nobody's listening.

That is an incredibly steep hill... and, consequently, a cornfield.

Our destination! We travelled back into the mountains to a little village to visit an elderly Karen couple that were newly-baptized members of the SDA church. We had vespers with them.

And they had gorgeous hibiscus outside their house. You feel awkward taking pictures of everything, but I think I'm going to need to do it more.

:)


We sang with them, prayed with them, and Michael had a worship talk which Ehkanyaw translated.

Michael and Ehkanyaw.

The husband of the couple we visited.

Their hut was like nothing I'd been in yet. No power, no lights, no running water. Barely anything between them and the elements. Amazing...

Sign for a school.

My traveling buddy in the back of the station wagon. It's a miracle we got this picture: that road was so curvy and so bumpy I couldn't hold the camera still to save my life! And actually, on a couple of corners, I had to stop taking pictures to save my life. We got thrown around quite a bit. Seatbelts? Nah. Don't exist here.

More of Thai beauty.

Students in the back of Maria's truck.

The boys that came with us.

Yep. They rode in the back of that truck like that for almost two hours. No joke. Sound like fun?

1 comment:

  1. Another amazing adventure for you. Loved the waterfalls. The grasshopper was of particular interest. Today in Sabbath School, we were trying to engage Lily Rose interest in the sand/gravel box with the plastic frogs and lizards. She would not put her hand into the box to play. I can imagine how she would have reacted to a live grasshopper as large as you describe.

    Our visiting speaker today, Elder John Spano from Auburn Academy, is a former teacher of your Mom, when she attended Thunderbird Academy. He was pleasantly surprised to see her.

    Have a wonderful God blessed week, Heidi. Warmly, Wanda Whitaker

    ReplyDelete