Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Answer me...NOW


I was sitting in our "gullawa" prayer meeting this evening, reading along in Help in Daily Living with everyone else when it happened.

Nothing spectacular, really. I just suddenly wanted an answer. An answer that had been quietly presenting itself to me for awhile, but that I'd never been able to answer myself.

And really, only YOU can give me that answer.

I've been asking alot of questions in the two months I've been here. Some of my questions have been dishonoring to God--I am human. Prone to mistake. I freely admit that I've probably asked more "WHY?" questions than "Alright...how?" questions.

But this question is different.

It didn't really strike me this hard til tonight, sitting in prayer meeting. It hit the hardest during closing prayer, after Harvey sent up a special petition to the Lord for support, in the form of funds and willing hands. The question shouted in my mind so loud that I almost went deaf to everything else being said at that point in time.

I'm not a demanding person. But tonight--or today, whenever you read this--I'm demanding an answer.

How on earth could you think you aren't needed?

 

I look around me at hundreds of children daily. Struggling, trying, living, surviving--children that are just as precious as those in America. Comparably little is being done for these Karen children as opposed to those who live in more privileged countries. It's not hard to show a child love, to show them Christ by an every-day, constant, consistent example. How could you think you aren't needed?

I hear talk of dorms to be built, more staff houses to be built, a hangar for an airplane, new classrooms, re-doing of existing buildings. I see glimpses of floor plans for houses, plans for a new campus. And yet the question still remains: "How can we do it with so few to help?" Students are breaking ground already, and doing a marvelous job. But there's more to do. How could you think you aren't needed?

We need more teachers. We need more couples who can care for abandoned little ones as their own. We need more builders, pilots, doctors, nurses, families, friends, supporters... People that are willing to "become all things for (THEIR) sakes." For the Karen. And the Thai that we come into contact with.

Again, I repeat... How on earth could you think you aren't needed?

I've heard it before: "Oh, I wouldn't be able to do much."
"I'd have nothing to do! My talents just don't compliment such a thing."
"They really don't need me: I'd only be wasting money."
"I really don't think God is asking me to do this anyway."
"Maybe I'll bring suspicion on myself."
"Really, is it any of my business?"

Yes. It is your business.

I looked down as two little girls came running up to grab my hands as we walked out to the view point last Sabbath. One on each side, we walked along...and that's when I noticed that the little girl on my left had no fingers. None. She had a thumb, but the rest of her hand was just a stub. Do I know what happened? No. But I knew one thing.

That hand became so precious to me in a moment... Because it had been placed in mine.

How many people have opportunities like that? One...where Ellen White says there ought to be a thousand.

Answer me. NOW.

How on earth could you think you aren't needed?

1 comment:

  1. Powerful, Heidi. I just pray that as the Lord opens doors in my life, I recognize every whisper of His voice and walk through in confident faith. One step at a time. Working right where He needs, right when He calls me, and in the power of His Spirit.

    The Lord needs every one of us somewhere! "The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest."

    ~Sheila :)

    ReplyDelete