Thursday, November 15, 2012

Shackled by Love


It's nearly stifled me a few times today. This very real, crushing pain.

Not for myself. For others who are in pain.

For the one who was honest: to a point of brokenness, unsure of how to carry on, and unable to do so without absolute miracle of divine intervention.
For the one who feels a pain deeper and more real than reality itself: lonely, like a lost child, and smarting even more under my feeble and useless attempt at "helping."
For the one who lies near death: sick with a very real sickness, having worn themselves out serving the Lord, giving their all, being "all things for all men."

The list could go on, but these three especially weigh on my heart tonight.

And yet, I'm shackled. Distance, time, and other barriers separate me from each one.

I can't be the strong shoulder of support for the first, no matter how much I wish I could: God said to have patience.
I can't heal the wounds of the second, even though I bear those hurts as a part of my own self: God said to let Him work; I realize I only make a mess of things.
I can't restore the health of the third, as much as everything in me wants to: God said that He's the only Physician that can bring complete cure; and that might not be His will.

I'm shackled: chained with pain. Not for myself, but for those I love. Because of my love.

Will I ever see the freedom of the first?
Will I ever see the healing of the second?
Will I see the third live through her physical ordeal?

Perhaps not.

But I know that in a case such as this, I don't mind being chained. I bear these shackles with pride, even though they hurt. Why?

...because Someone bore them for me, and still does. 
..because the greater the love, the greater the pain.
...because I want to.

He was shackled for me. And He bore those chains with pride.

No, I don't mind being shackled by love... this love. 

I carry my friends in my heart tonight. Know from afar that prayers are ascending for you. Know that the heart of this little missionary loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment