Thursday, November 8, 2012

Blink


Do something for me, will you?

Blink once.

In that amount of time, things can change.

I was blessed only a couple of weeks ago with a little handful of energetic puppy that we called Camo, because he was forever getting nearly stepped on in the house. Being the same color as the floor will do that to a little guy. He kept me up at night, he made messes on my bed, he jumped all over me when I was busy doing other things...But he loved me.

Only 20 minutes or so ago as I write this, "Little One," as I called him from time to time, died in my arms. For the last two days he hadn't been doing well, and none of us were sure what had happened. I still don't know what caused it.

I wasn't going to do so, but I went outside after lunch and took him with me to my newly-hung hammock under the house and let him rest on my lap. He stayed there for a long time before I put him on the ground to use the bathroom. I fell asleep... and when I awoke, he was whimpering, acting antsy like he couldn't get comfortable, and as if his tongue was bone dry. I picked him up to take him to the porch to get him some water...and I think he must've been gone by the time I got to the stairs. Harvey buried him in the banana orchard.

Why? I don't know.

There's a lesson for me in this somewhere. A very important one. I'm not sure what yet, but I'm waiting for God to tell me.

I will say one thing, however....

Trust me, there's nothing quite like love. Nothing.

You may not have a little puppy. But you have a family. You have friends. People in your lives who love you; people you love. Do they know you love them? Have you told them recently that they're important to you? Have you told them, "I appreciate you. Thank you for being there"?

And some of you have pets. Do you take time to show your pets you love them? Seems insignificant, but suppose I'd just left Camo on the porch all morning. I wouldnt've had those last few moments with him. And regardless of how much it hurts, I know I wouldnt've traded those moments for anything.

Love is a funny thing. It's beautiful when new...and as time passes it only grows more beautiful.

But blink and it might be gone.

Use the time you have. Tell someone you love them.

You may never have another chance again...

Thank you, Lord for blessing me.. For allowing me to grow.

And thank you, "Little One," for touching my life in so many ways. I'll miss you...

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away...Blessed be the name of the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi that is so sad! We ache for you and the loss of your pet. What sweet pictures you have of him. We are so very sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heidi.....so sad!!!! :'( And I never got to see him...except in pictures. But I can imagine how much he captured your heart (since he already captured mine from a distance!), and it must be hard seeing him go so quickly. But as you said, praise the Lord for the moments that He gifted you with the precious little bundle of puppy love. Thanks also for the reminders...it's easy to get so caught up in life that we forget to verbally appreciate and affirm those near and dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! I'm so sorry....:( There's nothing quite like the love of and for a puppy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heidi!! :'( My heart goes out to you, dear friend... Oh for that day when death will be swallowed up in victory...! But even so, "...blessed be the name of the LORD." I am saying a prayer for you and sending you a hug. <3 And don't ever forget - I love you...

    ReplyDelete